3 Action Economy Shoe-Horned into 5e

Mark Stinson

While I find Pathfinder 2e to be a very cool system, there are things I'm not a fan of (i.e., Everything being a Feat.  Class feats, racial feats, etc.)

But, the one thing I love...is the 3 action-economy system.  But, working that system into 5e is very difficult.  In the 5e rules, everything is built around the 5e action-economy.  Class abilities, combat, spells, feats...it is all built around 5e (of course).  So, plopping in a 3 action-economy system can unbalance the game, leaving some classes entirely behind, and leading to some fairly ridiculous results in the game.

But, about every 2 or 3 months, I dig into the internet looking for people who have also wanted to try this, and how they solved the balance issue.  I found a new attempt I thought was interesting tonight, and what follows is that DM's house-rules, heavily tweaked be me in order make a little more sense.

-------------------

First, bonus actions remain exactly the same.  This prevents having to completely re-write everything touched by bonus actions in the 5e rules.  Nothing changes about bonus actions.

Everyone gets 3 Action Points (AP) to spend in a round.  There are action types, and you can only perform an action type once per round without suffering penalties.

For instance, you can spend 1 AP making an attack with no penalties.  If you spend another AP on an attack, it is made with a -5 penalty, and if you spend a third AP on an attack it is make with a -10 penalty.  Extra Attack means you can attack a second time before the penalty kicks in.  Combat Actions such as Disengage and Dodge cost 1 AP, and cannot be done in a round where you have attacked (unless you can do it as a bonus action, see above).

Cantrips and spells cost 1 AP.  Cantrips or spells that require a to-hit roll can be taken more than once, with a similar -5 and -10 penalty that melee and missile attacks are subjected to.  A cantrip and spell can be cast in the same round, but the cantrip costs 1 AP and a spell cast in the same round as a cantrip costs 2 AP.

You can spend up to 2 AP on movement, in order to get 2 moves in a round.  But, spending a third AP on movement (moving 3 times) requires a successful Constitution saving throw, or you gain one level of fatigue.

Actions that are sometimes counted as free (opening a door, taking a potion, etc) would now cost 1 AP.
    __

I'm not saying that I'm going to try this, but I would like to hear what you guys think.  Dumb?  Suggestions?  Obvious flaws?  Stuff that would need to be accounted for?

I guess the reason this is attractive, is it feels a little more dynamic.  You can do more, though doing more sometimes comes with risk or penalty.  Not sure why I'm obsessed with this.  LOL.