Encumbrance - The Forgotten Rule

I have not brought this up before, and so we've sort of ignored it.  But, in a dark and gritty game, encumbrance rules should be in play.  So, as of the November 2021 game, we'll be following encumbrance rules.  Now this is not as crazy as it sounds.  Encumbrance is about choices.  It is about prioritizing equipment, and for me , it is part of game balance.

A character is unencumbered up to the point where they are carrying more than 5 times their strength score.  A character with 12 Strength can carry 60 lbs. of gear and equipment.  A character with 16 Strength can carry 80 lbs. of gear and equipment.  If you exceed this weight limit, you are considered Encumbered, and you move 10 feet slower movement speed than usual.

If you carry 10 times your Strength score, you are Heavily Encumbered, and you move 20 feet slower movement speed than usual, and are disadvantaged on all ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

Roll20, calculates your encumbrance as you add weapons, armor, and other equipment to your character sheet.  So, it is very easy to keep track and calculate it.  Most characters will not be affected by this, as I just looked over your character sheets.  But, a few may have to do a little tweaking, or carry less day's worth of rations, etc. 

A odd fact is that 50 GP is equal to a pound.  So, characters with some wealth will need to convert their wealth to gems or other lighter-weight items, or find an institution where they can secure their wealth.

This may also bring up some cool moments, when you come across a heavy treasure.  Do you carry it on with you as you continue on your path?  Do you bury it somewhere to retrieve later?  Do you take the money and run (slowly) home?

Thanks!
Mark

Comments

• Mark Stinson

Encumbrance is one of the first rules people throw to the side.  But, I was reminded of how cool it was when gathering the Figher archetypes.  Master-of-Arms as an archetype is all about carrying multiple weapons.  But, carrying multiple weapons means accumulating encumbrance, which drives some cool choices regarding armor and gear, and movement rates.

I was chatting with Bert about it, and I can see a very old-school situation developing, where the party actually hires hirelings or porters to help carry their shit.  At the very least, I can see an expedition back to a dungeon to retrieve a treasure hoard, and all the adventure and drama that comes from trying to move a large weight of treasure from point A to point B. 

Mark